History of the Church
Oct. 22: The third mission station in Denmark was founded in Odense; the first was founded in Copenhagen, the second in Fredericia. The parish consisted of 12 adults and 7 children.
The site, which earlier was part of the site of the Palace of the last Catholic Bishop in Odense,
Jens Andersen Beldenak, was bought by Catholics. "Det Adelige Jomfrukloster" now stands on the site.
May 31:"St. Mary's Church" was consecrated in an old timber building on the site, with room for about 200 persons.
The first Austrian Redemptorists arrived in Odense. They started a collection for the new church. The money was collected mainly in Austria, but some of it in Redemptorist parishes elsewhere.
Oct. 21: The foundation‑stone of a new St. Alban's Church was laid.
Oct. 25: The church was consecrated by Bishop Johannes v. Euch. Like the old timber‑church in the Middle Ages, where St. Canute was murdered, it was consecrated to Our Lady and St. Alban,
but furthermore to St. Canute.
Main Feast Day: Ascension of Our Lady into Heaven (Aug. 15.)
Description of the Church (Outside)
The church is built in early Gothic style, but the portal is Romanesque. The steeple is 54 meters high. Wood carvings in the church are from Southern Tyrol, stain‑glass paintings and the four church bells come from Germany.
St. Canute can be seen above the portal; on the sides: granite relief of St. Alban (left) and Carl the Good, son of St. Canute (right). The carvings on the door are the work of C. Rasmussen, Odense: (above from left) St. Bonifacius, the German apostle, felling Tor's Oak and St. Bonifacius' martyrdom; (below from left) St. Ansgar sailing to Denmark and St. Canute's martyrdom.
The painting shows the Coronation of Our Lady in Heaven. At the top, the Archangel Michael is seen with the scales of judgement and beneath him the apostles Peter (left) and Paul (right). The large figures depict St. Alban (left) († 302) and St. Knud (right) (†1086). The four evangelists can be seen on either side of the tabernacle.
St. Canute’s Chapel
The stain‑glass paintings show King Canute's first holy Communion and his death. The baptismal font is found in the chapel, the inscription on it is: "Docete omnes gentes baptizantes eos" i.e." teach all people and baptize them" There is also a statue of St. Joseph with Infant Jesus and a portrait of St. Mary with the crucified body of Christ (Pietá).
Portrait of St. Mary (left nave)
The painting is by Birgitte West (1901-1979) and shows St. Mary, "Our Lady of Perpetual Succour", a copy of an icon from Crete which in the 15th century was brought to Rome. In 1866 this picture of mercy was given into the care of the Redemptorists and is now in St. Alfonso's Church in Rome.
The four great fathers of the Church: Ambrosius, Gregorius, Hieronymus and Augustinus are depicted here.
Moses with the Tablets of the Law is seen on the steps.
Above the confessional, there is a statue of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
On the pillars (to the right) St. Clement Maria Hofbauer, Redemptorist, known as the Apostle of Warsaw and Vienna (†1820).
Next, a statue of St. Mary," Queen of Heaven", which originates from former "St. Mary's Church"; (to the left) St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori, theologian and founder of the Order of the Redemptorists (†1787) and St. Hedvig, the patron of Dalum‑Kloster. (†1243).
The organ dates from 1920 and was built by the Rieger firm in Bohemia.
It has 19 stops.